Sunday 20 February 2011

The new toy...........

After a year of road cycling, almost 10thou kilometers on the red bike (rounding up of course), a week in Adelaide bike gazing and purchasing my first yearly CSV license -  it was a good time a upgrade. Now, it wasn't too hard to upgrade over an alloy bike with the trusty shimano 105 fishing reel running gear.  My main constraints being monetary and hedging bets where the bike will reside (and therefore which is the closest LBS - local bike shop).


1) Dollars - I couldn't justify spending  the price of a new small car on a hobby and racing the lower grades on a brand new 8k Quantum Team with Dura-ace and Zipps. 

2) LBS - The key to buying a new bike is too buy local as the LBS will support any issues going forward. Otherwise, everyone would buy online and save money upfront.



After a few weeks of research, I ended up finding a new older model Avanti Quantum 3.0 running Ultegra and carbon wheels from the LBS down the road. After purchasing it on a Friday after work, I raced a crit on Sunday. The bike felt feather lite and I noticed the cornering improvements straightaway. From here, I just feel sorry to the other people who I race and train against cause I feel like a million dollars on this new beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment