Saturday 8 October 2011

SKCC Crits - B Grade (Wet'n'Wild)

After a couple of pre-race coffees thanks to the Soul Kitchen, I was amped for the race (pictures found here). The track was finally drying out as we rolled around for the warm up. Unfortunately, a few clouds rolled through and it began to rain lightly. The secret kind of rain (stealth rain) that doesn't appear on the radar. Blue skies were on the approach and the decision was made to start racing but under control. This lasted for 8 laps and as the track conditions got better, the race was started.

The pace was on straight away with a number of riders letting out their frustration on the pack stringing out the bunch. Everyone was cautious around the corners, but the pace was fierce on the straights. I was starting to loose my grip on the bunch, so I had to buckle down and get back in there while a few riders disappeared off the back. As the race developed, two breakaways got off the front but it was hard to tell  from the back of the main bunch with mud and water flying in your face.

In the final 3 laps, two group remained clear with a few key riders trying to reduce the gap but to no avail. As the main bunch shattered on the last lap due to a big increase in pace, I managed to stick with them and sprint to the finish with a large gap behind me to the rest of the field. Overall I felt good and was happy with my progression finishing just out of the top 10. I can't wait till next time (no racing next week for Around the Bay, please sponsor me) and ready to give it a go up the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment