Tuesday 31 May 2011

Tuesday ergo sessions - my new Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer

Today I got to try out my new toy, a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. This thing is good and a lot quieter which puts me in the good books with the missus sleeping next door. And it was almost a pleasure to train on except for the fact that my legs were not cooperating after Saturday's race.

I reflected briefly back to my uni days (over 4 years ago now) remembering one of my Chemical Engineering lectures in the topic of rheology. Rheology is the study of the flow of matter for those not in the know. The fluid inside the trainer is what is known as a shear thickening fluid. To explain this simply, my legs are applying a force to the fluid which causes the fluid to become thicker which makes it harder for me to pedal.

The results? Shear joyous pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment